Re: Replacing NFS with Samba

Robert Brockway wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Kadmos wrote:

You could also try to "soft" mount the NFS share (but according to "man mount" it might not be a good idea)

It really is debatable. Soft mounting reduces reliability in the face of a network problem but the nfs client avoids getting dragged to its knees everytime there is a slight outage. Last time I checked Sun was recommending soft mounting on Solaris.

But will that eliminate my X-Windows lockup? Or is that a separate issue? While X-Windows is frozen, I can still ssh into that workstation - I just can't affect X-Windows at all.

--
Daniel