Re: My boss want to kill debian, please help !

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, George Alexandru Dragoi wrote:
> I dist-upgrade to sid.

That might not change your kernel for all I know :-)  I prefer to run sarge
+ selected sid packages (including kernel-package and kernel-tree-2.6.10).

> Do you think i should use another NIC, or there might be another
> issue. Maybe it is good to mention that i compiled the intel watchdog,

There can always be another issue :(

> and i installed the watchdog daemon too, which is running. Also, in

I always use that, so I doubt it is a factor.  It will reboot your machine
within a bit less than 30s if the watchdog daemon gets stuck.  Make *damn
sure* that it is set to quite a high privilege level...

> the day 2 of last Christmass it happened same thing several times on
> another intel based PC with debian: the ethernet had to be ifdown then
> ifup to make it working.

It is quite weird that a ifdown+up made it work again, come to think of it.

ifdown+ifup do not reload modules.  But it would drop all automatic routes,
and rerun a few scripts, which could reset firewalls, arp tables, etc.
It may reset something on the kernel too when setting the interface
addresses, but I am not sure about that.

Are you using DHCP (client) on the machines that hung?

  Henrique Holschuh