Re: Retrieving photos via gphoto2

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:09 -0500, david wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have recently replaced my old Mandrake 9.0 installation with
> Debian Sarge, and in general I am extremely pleased.  However,
> I am having trouble getting gphoto2 talking to my Canon A80
> (it is listed as a supported camera, and it worked fine before).
> I have tried e-mailing the gphoto list, but no response.  I
> haven't seen anything yet on the lists or searching the internet.
> I sinerely hope that someone on the Debian list can be of assistance.
>
> I am calling gphoto2 from the console, logged on as root (so it
> should not be a permissions problem) - I have yet to get round
> to the business of creating a camera group, etc.  It has worked
> on just two occasions, and I don't know how I did this, it almost
> always returns an error.  Please see my e-mail to the gphoto list
> below for further details.  Moreover, I list the output from lsmod
> below, just in case that provides any clues - before and after a
> hotplug reset (they appear different for some reason).
>
> Thank you!
[snip]

Did you ever actually run:
# env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L
# env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --auto-detect

> [...]
> libgphoto2_port   0.5.1        gcc, USB, serial without locking, no ltdl
> #
>
> ========
>
> # gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port
> Canon PowerShot A80 (normal mode) usb:
> Canon PowerShot A80 (normal mode) usb:002,002
> #
>
> ========
>
> # gphoto2 -L
> Detected a 'Canon:PowerShot A80 (normal mode)'.
>
> *** Error ***
> canon_usb_lock_keys: Unexpected return of 0 bytes (expected 820) from "get
> picture abilities."
>
> *** Error ***
> lock keys failed.
> *** Error (-102: 'Corrupted data') ***
>
> For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
> Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
> If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
> developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
> gphoto2 as follows:
>
>     env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L
>
> Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
>
> #
>
> ========
> Or:
>
> # gphoto2 -L
>
> *** Error ***
> Could not apply USB settings
>
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Error updating the port settings'):
> Could not set config 0/1 (Connection timed out)
> *** Error (-37: 'Error updating the port settings') ***
>
> For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
> Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
> If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
> developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
> gphoto2 as follows:
>
>     env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L
>
> Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
>
> #
>
> ========
> Eventually, it gets itself in such a state that it doesn't even recognise the
> camera:
>
> # gphoto2 --auto-detect
> Model                          Port
>
> # gphoto2 -L
>
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find USB
> device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x309a). Make sure this device is connected to
> the computer.
> *** Error (-2: 'Bad parameters') ***
>
> For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
> Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
> If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
> developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
> gphoto2 as follows:
>
>     env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug -L
>
> Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

296,443 sq mi (767,787 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people to
live at the same population density as Manhattan, New York.
That is ~ Arizona or Nevada.
Alternatively, that ~ double the size of Japan or Zimbabwe