Re: Connecting securely to a Linux machine from a web browser wit hout Java

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:38:00PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > If you can at least download a file, you could try putty and ssh and login
> > to a shell.  There's no need to install putty on the Windows machine, just
> > use the binary executable.
> >
> > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>
> Hi.
>
> I guess it depends on what you mean by "securely".  An
> arbitrary Windows machine connected to the internet is
> likely to contain spywhere, such as keystroke-recorders.
> So even if you use ssh, your password could be captured at
> the source.

Agreed; I have to presume that the machine is vaguely secure.  (It's a
school behind a firewall, and although the head of IT is ignorant (but
scared of things she doesn't know), she's not the technical person who
installed the firewall.  They probably have virus scanners and stuff
as well.  Nonetheless, they block most outgoing communication except
to ports 8000, 8080 and 443, as far as I can tell, so spyware will
mostly be rendered ineffective anyway.  I'm not sure whether 25 is
open, though.)

> But yes, putty probably the best solution for remote-terminal
> access if you believe the Windows box is secure.
>
> If you want to run GUI apps, tho, you'll need something
> else, such as an X server for the Windows box or a VNC
> viewer and appropriate port forwarding (for VNC it's 5900+n
> where n is the display number).  I've used tightvnc.org's
> viewer on Windows myself to good effect.

Not a chance!

Thanks,

   Julian