Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:

I might have to consider both Perl and Python.  I think Perl has
the reputation, being the "swiss army chainsaw" an all.  Are these
both of the same level of programming power?!

Yes, nowadays.  But perl is still better for quicky, dirty (emphasis on
dirty) hacks, and python is still better when you need readable code.

I think its more a case of what you're used to.

Python to me is much harder to read then Perl, but that has as much to do with the fact that I spend most of my time playing with Perl.

It also depends on your coding habits.. well written, well indented Perl is very easy to read. The diffence is that its much easier to write sloppy Perl then it is sloppy Python. Perl doesn't force you to have good habits, were as Python does (to a degree at least).