Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 14:15 +0800, Franki wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> >
> >>I might have to consider both Perl and Python.  I think Perl has
> >>the reputation, being the "swiss army chainsaw" an all.  Are these
> >>both of the same level of programming power?!
> >

> > Yes, nowadays.  But perl is still better for quicky, dirty (emphasis on
> > dirty) hacks, and python is still better when you need readable code.
>
> I think its more a case of what you're used to.
>
> Python to me is much harder to read then Perl, but that has as much to
> do with the fact that I spend most of my time playing with Perl.
>
> It also depends on your coding habits.. well written, well indented Perl
> is very easy to read.
> The diffence is that its much easier to write sloppy Perl then it is
> sloppy Python.  Perl doesn't force you to have good habits, were as
> Python does (to a degree at least).

Here's 2 things that will make code in *any* language hard to
read:
  - suck-arse variable names
  - stupid programmers
  - time pressures
  - bad/changing designs/goals/methodologies
  - refusal to throw away v1

(OK, I can't count.  Sue me. ;)

I'm just waiting for (a.k.a. dreading) the language that forces
"appropriate" variable naming standards.

But then, FORTRAN kinda does that.  Anyone on the list been a
geek long enough to know what I'm talking about?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Thanks to the good people in Microsoft, a great deal of the data
that flows is dependent on one company. That is not a healthy
ecosystem. The issue is that creativity gets filtered through the
business plan of one company.
Mitchell Baker, "Chief Lizard Wrangler" at Mozilla