Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

Franki wrote:
It also depends on your coding habits.. well written, well indented Perl is very easy to read.

I beg to differ. It isn't that Perl cannot be well indented and "well written" the problem is that both of those are highly subjective.

I found my Perl quite readable. So did my friends and peers. However to get to that state I had to throw away about 1/2 of the syntax Perl offers. In the end when comparing my Perl code to my Python code to do similar work the Perl code, when one removed the braces, resembled my Python code. The difference is there was no magical line noise to mungle through. Each comparable construct in Python was far more readable than the same in Perl for that one simple reason. Since the magical line noise is at the core of Perl one simply cannot throw it away like one can the many variations of if, for example.