Re: partitioned drive in linux. Windows gives me a phantom drive letter

Kent West wrote:

> Spongebob wrote:
>
>>I'm still don't understand the purpose. I've never used fdisk except as
>>fdisk /MBR
>>to give me a master boot record. What's it going to do? Do I run it on the
>>phantom drive, or do I run it somewhere else?
>>

> You've provided no context to your question. I recognize your name, and
> your subject line (because I just responded to another post with this
> subject line), but I delete messages immediately after dealing with them
> (and therefore don't have the thread immediately available to go back
> and look through), and pretty much forget about them as well.
>
> So whereas I still remember that you're having a phantom drive show up
> on a Win98/Linux box with two drives and lots of partitions, I don't
> know where this question is coming from. I suspect others on this list
> are likewise befuddled. I would suggest leaving enough of the previous
> conversation in your posts that anyone happening onto the thread in the
> middle can sort of figure out what's going on.

Sorry, I was just trying eliminate the clutter of long posts. A little too
much, I guess.

> The DOS, Win98, and Linux versions of fdisk all perform the same basic
> functionality of creating/deleting partitions on a drive. The DOS and
> Win98 versions have the "/mbr" switch to install a Master Boot Record.
> If you don't use "/mbr", the interactive program will appear, and you
> can use it to view existing partitions, or to delete/create partitions.
>
> I suspect someone earlier in the thread suggested that you use fdisk to
> see what Win98 thinks its partition table looks like, to compare it to
> what Linux's fdisk sees.

Hmm...according DOS's fdisk, it's a little out of touch with reality. hdd
(disk 1 according to fdisk) shows the partitions as they appear in linux.
It's indicating that my phantom drive letter (E:) is the last partition
(hdd4 in linux). Windows shows E: as having a few dummy files that I placed
there from windows (which I don't see in linux). Actually, hdd4 has quite a
bit of stuff on it. All of the data shows up on a drive called H: (which
doesn't appear in fdisk). Files added to H: do show up on hdd4 in linux.

hda (disk 2 according to fdisk) doesn't appear correctly in fdisk. It show
the drive to be 65G, whereas it's actually 160G. Primary ext2 hda1 shows up
correctly. But fat32 hda2 shows up as partition 4, the extended partition
hda3 shows up as partition 2, and ext2 hda4 shows up as partition 3.
Windows seems to have no trouble with this drive, though.

I'm beginning to think I have a gremlin infestation. Anyone know where I
can get some gremlin traps?