Re: upgraded kde3.3.1 not working properly. Need help.

I uninstalled all of kde and x packages, then reinstalled them. This fixed
the kde root access problems and the functionality of console windows. But

1) The startup still isn't working properly.
kdm login appears, but text input (username and password) is still locked
up. Doing a console login, killing kdm, and running startkde doesn't work.
It gives me all sorts of errors, some of which are:
xsetroot: Unable to open display
xset: unable to open display
ksplash: cannot connect to x server
kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY not set.
Warning: connect() failed. No such file or directory

Typing kdm works, and the login window functions normally.

2) Logging into kde as root, I hear the startup sound, but message boxes
begin appearing saying "aknode: No media loaded". They just continue to
pile up, and I can't do anything except end the session.

3) wav audio works, but midi is broken. Testing midi in the control panel
doesn't give me any sound. I don't think this is due to kde. I think alsa
got messed up in the upgrade. I don't know how to fix it, though.