Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 06:39 -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:53:23PM -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
[snip]
> I might have to consider both Perl and Python.  I think Perl has
> the reputation, being the "swiss army chainsaw" an all.  Are these
> both of the same level of programming power?!

Yes.  Remember, though, that they come from 2 different places,
and have their strengths.

If you'll be doing lots of text processing and searching, Perl is
for you, since it's highly optimized for that.

Python is more of a GP language, well suited to small scripts and
large projects.

http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html
	DESCRIPTION
     	Perl is a interpreted language optimized for scanning  arbi-
     	trary  text  files,  extracting  information from those text
     	files, and printing reports based on that information.  It's
     	also  a good language for many system management tasks.  The
     	language is intended to be practical  (easy  to  use,  effi-
     	cient,  complete)  rather  than  beautiful  (tiny,  elegant,
     	minimal).  It combines (in  the  author's  opinion,  anyway)
     	some  of the best features of C, sed, awk, and sh, so people
     	familiar with those languages should have little  difficulty
     	with  it.  (Language historians will also note some vestiges
     	of csh, Pascal, and  even  BASIC|PLUS.)   Expression  syntax
     	corresponds  quite  closely  to C expression syntax.  If you
     	have a problem that would ordinarily use sed or awk  or  sh,
     	but  it exceeds their capabilities or must run a little fas-
     	ter, and you don't want to write the silly thing in C,  then
     	perl  may  be  for  you.  There are also translators to turn
     	your sed and awk scripts  into  perl  scripts.   OK,  enough
     	hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_programming_language
"Python is an interpreted, interactive programming language created
by Guido van Rossum in 1990, originally as a scripting language for
Amoeba OS capable of making system calls.  Python is often compared
to Tcl, Perl, Scheme, Java, and Ruby."

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Microkernels have won."