Re: Copying users from one system to another!!

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 16:57 +0530, Siju George wrote:

> I want to change the linux server from one Debian system to a newly
> installed debian system.
>
> Recreating user accounts will be a tedious task so may i ask what
> files should I copy from the old one to the new system so that I 'll
> have the same user accounts on the new system with the same group
> membership as in the old.
>
> I use shadow passwords and also encrypted password for samba.

I'm about to do this myself. It looks to me like:

You need to compare the new passwd and group files with the old ones.
The user names in both have the same user numbers and group memberships.
And the users and groups used by the system and daemons have to be
identical in both.

If there's a difference, change the old ones to match the new one.

After that, copy /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, and all the
users' home directories, crontabs, and email files.

I don't know about samba.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com