Re: dpkg-reconfigure -a won't fix a problem

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:30:06 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>
> >I ssh'd into her machine, and attempted to finish her update. The
> >command line instructed me to "dpkg-reconfigure -a", which I have
been
> >attempting to do for the past 2 hours. It get only so far into
"fixing
> >things, then quits with the error message;
> >

> >ERROR: Could not find slib/require.scm in  ("/usr/share/guile/site"
> >"/usr/share/guile/1.6" "/usr/share/guile" ".")
> >

> I did a half-hearted search at bugs.debian.org, and didn't find an
> answer. But it seems to me that perhaps the upgrade (update?) failed
> to finish downloading/unpacking a required dependency (perhaps the
> "slib" package?). Now during the dpkg-reconfigure, the package
> requiring the dependency is not finding the dependency.
>
> Perhaps you should try running "apt-get -f install".

As soon as I get done trying "dpkg-reconfigure -a" I will

> Maybe you should check that no partitions (such as /usr or /var) are
> low on free space.

Just logged back on. Drive space not an issue, more than 90% free on all
partitions, except /boot, which is 50%

> Perhaps you should try manually installing "slib" to meet the
requirement.

Did that, but no good :-(

this is what is installed vs. what is available;

rodney@elkys-home:~$ dpkg -l | grep slib
ii  e2fslibs       1.36rc3-2      ext2 filesystem libraries
ii  guile-1.6-slib 1.6.7-1        Guile SLIB support
ii  guile1.4-slib  1.4-26         SLIB support for guile1.4 and
libguile9 ii  pslib1         0.2.4-1        Library to create PostScript
files ii  slib           3a1-4.2        Portable Scheme library
rodney@elkys-home:~$ apt-cache search slib
guile-1.6-slib - Guile SLIB support
guile1.4-slib - SLIB support for guile1.4 and libguile9
iczech - The Czech dictionary for ispell.
libvds-dev - The view-dependent simplification library.
pslib-dev - Development files for pslib
pslib1 - Library to create PostScript files
slib - Portable Scheme library
xfslibs-dev - XFS filesystem-specific static libraries and headers
xt-sdf2 - Programmers tools for manipulating SDF2 formalism
xt-sdf2-dev - Development headers and Libraries for xt-sdf2
xt-toolbuslib - C Libraries needed to connect to the ToolBus
e2fslibs - ext2 filesystem libraries
e2fslibs-dev - ext2 filesystem libraries - headers and static libraries
libsablevm-classlib1-java - GNU Classpath modified to work with SableVM
JVM

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@MtPalomar.net>
Registered Linux User #96112