Re: Setting up USB scanner

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:57:20AM +0100, Joan Tur wrote:
> Es Diumenge 23 Gener 2005 08:28, en gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca va escriure:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I'm trying to wade through the process of getting USB working so I can use
> | a hand me down Epson 1250 Photo USB scanner on woody system, with kernel
> | 2.4.18 that I've configured and compiled myself.
> |
> | I've been to backports.org for the latest versions of libusb, sane-utils,
> | and assorted dependences.
> |
> | I can get sane-find-scanner to find the beast (vendorID 04b8, productID
> | 010f at /dev/usb/scanner0, or libusb:001:002) but can't get any of xsane,
> | xscanimage, scanimage, or the gimp (using xsane) to find the scanner.
> |
> | If I try
> |
> |  $ xsane
> |
> | by itself, an info box pops up telling me "scanning for devices".  After a
> | couple of minutes I get "xsane: no device available"
> Does the user belong to the plugdev group?  If not, try again after adding
> it  ;)

I don't appear to have such a group on my machine

    bash # grep plugdev /etc/group
    bash #

and nothing relevant seems to be owned by the group

    bash # ls -ld /dev/usb/scanner0 /etc/sane.d/ /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf
    crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,  48 Mar 14  2002 /dev/usb/scanner0
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         3072 Jan 22 23:52 /etc/sane.d
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2968 Jan 22 23:21 /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf

Even root doesn't seem to be able to find the scanner.

    bash # sane-find-scanner

    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x010f) at /dev/usb/scanner0
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x010f, chip=LM983x?) at libusb:001:002
      # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

    bash # scanimage -L

Thanks.  By the way, I'm subscribed, no need to Cc: me.

Ger