Re: Generating a list (with urls) of packages needed by apt-get dist-upgrade

*  Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> [2005-01-19] :
>  --- Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:
>> That looks like an awful lot of work that's easy to mess up with a
>> single typo. Why not use apt-zip?
>
>:) Because like everything else, TMTOWTDI.  Apt-zip might well be
easier
> -- a lot eaier, in fact.

It is, beyond doubt, easier than the routine suggested in this thread.

In spite of which, this novice cannot get it to work as it is supposed
to.

And, I cannot work out - without advice - whether the problem is at
my end or caused by the failure of the kind soul (who ran the script
generated by 'apt-zip list') to follow my instructions of how to use the
script.

So, getting to the nitty-gritty.  'apt-zip list' generates two files
when it runs - a script and an options file.

- does the options file get modified when the script runs; and
- does the options file (original or modified) need to be present when
'  apt-zip inst' installs the packages fetched by the script?

Both of these questions are non-issues when apt-zip is run with a
portable zip drive (as it was designed to be used).  But I am trying to
do it with floppies and CDs.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen
--