Re: Nvidia Bug ?

Hello

Uwe Dippel (<udippel@uniten.edu.my>) wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:40:07 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> You should not edit /etc/moules.conf, edit the files in
>> /etc/modutils, and run update-modules to generete the modules.conf
>> from these files. That's the way Debian does it. Anyway, you use
>> kernel 2.6, and for that you need to edit the files in
>> /etc/modprobe.d (which are read directly, you should /not/ have
>> /etc/modprobe.conf). There should already be a file nvidia-something
>> in that directory with the necessary alias entries (at least if you
>> installed the nvidia driver from the Debian packages),
>
> If memory serves me (still) well, I had problems with the Debian
> package and installed the one directly from NVIDIA.
> These are the locations where I have nvidia:
>
> # locate nvidia
> [...]
>
> I wonder where the NVIDIA installer added the module ?

Maybe it modified /etc/modprobe.d/aliases, maybe it tried to
modify /etc/modprobe.d, maybe it didn't do anything. The Debian package
has the following file:

andreas@sirius:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc
alias char-major-195* nvidia

and a copy in /etc/modutils for kernel 2.4. With this entry, the driver
should be loaded automatically when X starts and tries to access the
device files - as long as you don't use udev.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976