Re: kernel-2.4.24 or newer for Woody Thanks! :-)

Quoting Csányi Pál <csanyipal@sks.co.yu>:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:58:55AM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Quoting Csányi Pál <csanyipal@sks.co.yu>:
> >
> > deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable kernel-2.4
> >
> > That should get you what you want.  You can also get a kernel-source
> > package from Sarge or Sid and build one yourself.
>
> If I know, how can I do that! I heard, that it is not easy, like build the
> kernel-source-2.4.26. Would you help me a little in building the say,
> kernel-source-2.6.x on the Woody?
>
> Thanks Roberto anyway for your help!

Taking this back on list, for the benefit of others.

Building Debian kernel packages is a very easy process, which is very well
documented: http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

As far as a 2.6 kernel on Woody, unless you are trying to run Woody on very
new hardware that is not at all supported in the 2.4 tree, it is a lot of
work for not very much payoff.  If you are interested in a 2.6 kernel, I
recommend using backports for kernel-2.6.  I say that becuase although, it
is possible to run 2.6 on Woody (evidenced by the existence of a backport)
there are many associated utilities that must also be upgraded, as their
Woody versions are too old to support the 2.6 kernel.

If you are interested in learning about backporting packages in general, I
would recommend that you install the package sbuild, read its documentation
and Google search for anything you do not understand.  If you build many
packages and want to keep them organized, then I recommend you read the
Debian Repository HOWTO, by Aaron Isotton:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.html

Also read my Automatic Debian Package Repository HOWTO:
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr/?page=debrepository

If you want to learn just how to build binary kernel packages from the kernel
source, then read the HOWTO I first mentioned.

Regards,

-Roberto