Re: Nvidia Bug ?

Hello

Uwe Dippel (<udippel@uniten.edu.my>) wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:40:08 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> Do you run udev, or was it activated during your upgrade?
>
> Yes; the whole story is this:
>
> [installed udev]
>
>> Maybe in that
>> case the alias entries in /etc/modprobe.d/ and /etc/modules.conf
>> don't work anymore, try to add
>>
>> nvidia
>>
>> to /etc/modules.
>
> Done and works. How do I get it back into modules.conf ? There it says
> you can't edit it manually. I have yet to grasp this item on Debian.

You should not edit /etc/moules.conf, edit the files in /etc/modutils,
and run update-modules to generete the modules.conf from these files.
That's the way Debian does it. Anyway, you use kernel 2.6, and for that
you need to edit the files in /etc/modprobe.d (which are read directly,
you should /not/ have /etc/modprobe.conf). There should already be a
file nvidia-something in that directory with the necessary alias
entries (at least if you installed the nvidia driver from the Debian
packages), but if you use udev this doesn't work anymore. Same for some
other drivers, like ppp_generic, which can't be autoloaded any longer
as well. There is an udev FAQ somewhere that explains it (probably also
included in the documentation in /usr/share/doc/udev).

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976