Re: Nvidia Bug ?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:40:08 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:

> Do you run udev, or was it activated during your upgrade?

Yes; the whole story is this:

I have two notebooks and bought a USB camera.
When I plugged it into the first one, it said something about 'sdi' in
dmesg where I would have expected sda. Also, I couldn't mount it. Some
google brought me to a chap who noted that you need udev for it. I
installed it, and immediately I had sdi and could mount that camera.
Everything okay.
Did the same with the second notebook, and this time,
many things went wrong. I also attached the camera, but on this notebook
dmesg shows it as sda. So I wouldn't have needed udev.

> Maybe in that
> case the alias entries in /etc/modprobe.d/ and /etc/modules.conf don't
> work anymore, try to add
>
> nvidia
>
> to /etc/modules.

Done and works. How do I get it back into modules.conf ? There it says you
can't edit it manually. I have yet to grasp this item on Debian.

I can only guess, that modules in /etc/modules. are not handled by apt.
True ?

Thanks for the tip, anyway !

Uwe