Re: Kppp inactive

"Justin Guerin" <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote in message
[🔎] 200501191034.02644.jguerin@cso.atmel.com">news:[🔎] 200501191034.02644.jguerin@cso.atmel.com...
> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:36, handyman wrote:
> >    Hi.  I'm forced to write to you from Windows as I can't get KPPP
> > working.
> >
> > I have Sarge of 10.1.2005 from
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. being CD1 of the full CD
> > set. This was downloaded from the net and burnt onto a CD. The checksums
> > verify. I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAX with an AMD Athlon 1800MB processor
> > Hard Drive is a Western Digital 7.5 GB which has only this distro on it.
> >
> >    The problem is: when I click on KPPP in the KDE menu, nothing
happens.
> > I have tried a number of work-arounds but I still can't dial up.
> >
> >    I had the identical problem when I downloaded a previous issue (maybe
> > 3.1.2005, but losing track now)
> >
> >   ( creating the file /etc/resolv.conf and giving it user permissions
> > gets KPPP displayed, but `Automatic` on DNS Configuration is greyed out.
> > O.K., put in the Primary and Secondary DNS figures - still doesn't work.
> > I'm continually getting the following error:
> >

> > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: The remote system is required to
> > authenticate itself
> > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> > secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: (None of the available passwords
> > would let it use an IP address.)
>
> Do you really want the remote system to authenticate itself to your local
> system?  If so, you need to provide a password that the remote system is
> supposed to use.  Note that this is the reverse of you authenticating
> yourself to the remote system.
>
> If you don't need the remote system to authenticate itself, you need to
set
> the noauth option on pppd.

 I hadn't thought of it but of course I don't want the remote system to
authenticate itself to me.
 In /etc/ppp/options it *was* `auth`, so I changed it to `noauth`. In
/etc/ppp/peers/provider it was already set to `noauth`.
 It still won't connect though. I've had the same error, also `timed out`,
also just `Error Status 0`.
 Interestingly, in usr/bin/kppp `Automatic` DNS Configuration is not greyed
out and that connected on the second attempt.

  Thanks for your help.