Kppp inactive

   Hi.  I'm forced to write to you from Windows as I can't get KPPP working.

I have Sarge of 10.1.2005 from
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. being CD1 of the full CD set.
This was downloaded from the net and burnt onto a CD. The checksums verify.
I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAX with an AMD Athlon 1800MB processor
Hard Drive is a Western Digital 7.5 GB which has only this distro on it.

   The problem is: when I click on KPPP in the KDE menu, nothing happens.
I have tried a number of work-arounds but I still can't dial up.

   I had the identical problem when I downloaded a previous issue (maybe
3.1.2005, but losing track now)

  ( creating the file /etc/resolv.conf and giving it user permissions gets
KPPP displayed, but `Automatic` on DNS Configuration is greyed out. O.K.,
put in the Primary and Secondary DNS figures - still doesn't work. I'm
continually getting the following error:

Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: but I couldn't find any suitable
secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: (None of the available passwords would
let it use an IP address.)