Re: Kppp inactive

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:36, handyman wrote:
>    Hi.  I'm forced to write to you from Windows as I can't get KPPP
> working.
>
> I have Sarge of 10.1.2005 from
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. being CD1 of the full CD
> set. This was downloaded from the net and burnt onto a CD. The checksums
> verify. I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAX with an AMD Athlon 1800MB processor
> Hard Drive is a Western Digital 7.5 GB which has only this distro on it.
>
>    The problem is: when I click on KPPP in the KDE menu, nothing happens.
> I have tried a number of work-arounds but I still can't dial up.
>
>    I had the identical problem when I downloaded a previous issue (maybe
> 3.1.2005, but losing track now)
>
>   ( creating the file /etc/resolv.conf and giving it user permissions
> gets KPPP displayed, but `Automatic` on DNS Configuration is greyed out.
> O.K., put in the Primary and Secondary DNS figures - still doesn't work.
> I'm continually getting the following error:
>

> Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: (None of the available passwords
> would let it use an IP address.)

Do you really want the remote system to authenticate itself to your local
system?  If so, you need to provide a password that the remote system is
supposed to use.  Note that this is the reverse of you authenticating
yourself to the remote system.

If you don't need the remote system to authenticate itself, you need to set
the noauth option on pppd.

Justin Guerin