Re: Kppp inactive

On Thursday 20 January 2005 02:11, handyman wrote:
> "Justin Guerin" <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote in message
> [🔎] 200501191034.02644.jguerin@cso.atmel.com">news:[🔎] 200501191034.02644.jguerin@cso.atmel.com...
>
> > On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:36, handyman wrote:
> > >    Hi.  I'm forced to write to you from Windows as I can't get KPPP
> > > working.
> > >
> > > I have Sarge of 10.1.2005 from
> > > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. being CD1 of the full
> > > CD set. This was downloaded from the net and burnt onto a CD. The
> > > checksums verify. I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAX with an AMD Athlon 1800MB
> > > processor Hard Drive is a Western Digital 7.5 GB which has only this
> > > distro on it.
> > >
> > >    The problem is: when I click on KPPP in the KDE menu, nothing
>
> happens.
>
> > > I have tried a number of work-arounds but I still can't dial up.
> > >
> > >    I had the identical problem when I downloaded a previous issue
> > > (maybe 3.1.2005, but losing track now)
> > >
> > >   ( creating the file /etc/resolv.conf and giving it user permissions
> > > gets KPPP displayed, but `Automatic` on DNS Configuration is greyed
> > > out. O.K., put in the Primary and Secondary DNS figures - still
> > > doesn't work. I'm continually getting the following error:
> > >

> > > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: The remote system is required
> > > to authenticate itself
> > > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: but I couldn't find any
> > > suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> > > Jan 16 19:44:24 localhost pppd[3692]: (None of the available
> > > passwords would let it use an IP address.)
> >
> > Do you really want the remote system to authenticate itself to your
> > local system?  If so, you need to provide a password that the remote
> > system is supposed to use.  Note that this is the reverse of you
> > authenticating yourself to the remote system.
> >
> > If you don't need the remote system to authenticate itself, you need to
>
> set
>
> > the noauth option on pppd.
>
>  I hadn't thought of it but of course I don't want the remote system to
> authenticate itself to me.
>  In /etc/ppp/options it *was* `auth`, so I changed it to `noauth`. In
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider it was already set to `noauth`.
>  It still won't connect though. I've had the same error, also `timed
> out`, also just `Error Status 0`.
>  Interestingly, in usr/bin/kppp `Automatic` DNS Configuration is not
> greyed out and that connected on the second attempt.
>
>   Thanks for your help.

I seem to recall having timeout problems at one point.  I remember something
about a "stupid mode" where you don't wait for a certain signal, you start
negotiations immediately, but I can't find it, and it may have been in an
older version of ppp.  Regardless, the connect-delay option might prove
useful.

If all else fails, turn on debug, and post the output.

Justin Guerin