Re: Pondering a mac mini.

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 17:19 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:01:33PM -0600, Bart Dorsey wrote:
> > All in all, my mac makes a very nice Linux box and has the cool OS X
> > software I can run on it to boot.
>
> I just don't get why Mac is cool.
>
> Linux on PPC -- wow, it looks and acts exactly like i386, only with
> still more hardware incompatibility problems and even less support!
>
> Mac OSX -- I keep trying to like it.  I go to the store, click on the
> floaty icon bar on the bottom, and I see nonstandard Bash prompts and a
> bunch of nichy apps.
>
> I think my parents would like a Mac.  I'd probably like it if I was a
> graphic designer, musician, or video editor.  But for a grungy hacker
> like me I just don't see the appeal.
>
> At best it's "equal to" with a couple gotchas -- slowness and
> nonstandardness.

Not if you need screaming FP performance, and/or are concerned
about power consumption or dissipation.

For ultimate number-crunching performance, PowerPC can't be beat,
since it's just as fast (or faster) than x86, and you can pack
more in tighter spaces than Xeon and AMD64.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Linux is not a house, it's a pile of lumber."
Jeremy White, CEO CodeWeavers