Re: listening radio from the internet

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:46 +0100, Alberto Bert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> whenever I try to listen some radio from the internet (let's say BBC)
> they say I miss some player, realplayer or ...
>
> I use mozilla, windowmaker and I'm not an expert.
>
> Do you have suggestion on haw to manage the problem? Should I install
> some mozilla plug-ins, and which one? There are so many in the mozilla
>  of them site (http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html). Maybe it's better (more
> safe from the mozilla freezing point of view) to use a normal stream
> player giving to it the file in the site. But then, which player do you
> suggest?
>
> I'll appreciate any help, expecially if it's new-by oriented.

Hi, Alberto.

The easiest, simplest way to listen to the Beebe is to download
RealPlay 10.

At http://www.real.com/ click on the big yellow icon that says,
"Download RealPlayer" and save the file in /tmp.

Then, in a terminal window:
  su -   (This is *your* machine, right?)
  cd /tmp
  chmod u+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
  ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

It will ask you where to put the files.  Tell it /usr/local (or
/usr/local/RealPlay,I forget which).   After RealPlay is installed,
do this, in that same terminal window:
  cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
  ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
  ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

Restart Mozilla, and you *should* see RealPlayer in "about:plugins",
although it will be called:
  Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy
discordant images at such speed as to render linear thought
impossible"
Calvin, regarding TV