Re: listening radio from the internet

Apparently, _Ron Johnson_, on 19/01/05 06:07,typed:
On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:46 +0100, Alberto Bert wrote:

Hi all,

whenever I try to listen some radio from the internet (let's say BBC)
they say I miss some player, realplayer or ...

I use mozilla, windowmaker and I'm not an expert.

Do you have suggestion on haw to manage the problem? Should I install
some mozilla plug-ins, and which one? There are so many in the mozilla
of them site (http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html). Maybe it's better (more
safe from the mozilla freezing point of view) to use a normal stream
player giving to it the file in the site. But then, which player do you
suggest?

I'll appreciate any help, expecially if it's new-by oriented.

Hi, Alberto.

The easiest, simplest way to listen to the Beebe is to download
RealPlay 10.

At http://www.real.com/ click on the big yellow icon that says,
"Download RealPlayer" and save the file in /tmp.

Then, in a terminal window:
  su -   (This is *your* machine, right?)
  cd /tmp
  chmod u+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
  ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

It will ask you where to put the files.  Tell it /usr/local (or
/usr/local/RealPlay,I forget which).   After RealPlay is installed,
do this, in that same terminal window:
  cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
  ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
  ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

Restart Mozilla, and you *should* see RealPlayer in "about:plugins",
although it will be called:
  Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

BTW, if I tell the RealPlayer bin script to yes [Y] 'update the system-wide symbolic links' and just press ENTER at the prefix prompt (/usr), it automatically creates the plugin links for mozilla:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins# ll
total 24
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 Oct 17 18:43 flashplayer.xpt -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplayer.xpt lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 Oct 17 18:43 libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 Oct 19 19:33 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/jdk/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 20016 Jan  5 04:18 libnullplugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Jan 24 00:53 nphelix.so -> /usr/local/realplayer/mozilla/nphelix.so lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Jan 24 00:53 nphelix.xpt -> /usr/local/realplayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

Those links to /usr/local/realplayer/mozilla/nph* weren't created by me. Just in case some is curious.

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.