Re: Booting into the console - was Re: Command Line Completion for Programs?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:41:07PM +0000, Felixk Karpfen wrote:
> How do I boot into the console (as user) in Sarge?  Woody gave the
> option.  And, with minor adjustments to /etc/rc2.d, it could be made the
> default.
>
> Is there a similar routine in Sarge?

What are you actually trying to accomplish?

If you just want to get a non-X text console, you can let X start and
then use ctrl-alt-f1 through ctrl-alt-f6 to switch to consoles.

If you want to temporarily disable your X display manager (the
program that gives you a GUI login), change the name of the S##xdm
link in /etc/rc2.d, then change it back to reenable.

If you want to get rid of it for good, apt-get remove xdm.  There's
no reason why you have to have it installed if you don't want to use
it.

(Note:  I assumed that your display manager is xdm.  It could also be
wdm, gdm, or, I'm sure, any number of others.  Replace xdm with the
appropriate name in the above if that is the case.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that