Re: Can't set resolution for console

andras.lorincz@gmail.com(andras.lorincz@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> On Sunday 16 January 2005 05:36, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > andras.lorincz@gmail.com(andras.lorincz@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> > > I'm using Sid with AIW Radeon, kernel 2.6.9 compiled with frame buffer
> > > support and want to change the text mode resolution. I've tried in grub
> > > to pass kernel parameter vga=791, but after the grub menu is listed and
> > > the kernel begins to load,  the screen blanks until the kdm starts.
> > > Another try was to set vga=ext, that has some effect: after grub menu is
> > > listed, the kernel begins to load and the resolution is changed properly,
> > > but while the system loads, at a moment the resolution is changed back to
> > > 80x25 before kdm starts.
> > >
> > > How should I handle it?
> >
> > I solved that problem by going to 2.6.10.  I have also read that the
> > problem is with the vesafb.c file in the debian source 2.6.9 sourde.
> > It was said that downloading the 2.6.9 source from kernel.org and
> > replacing the vesafb.c in the debian source tree with the one from
> > kernel.org would fix the problem.
> >
> > As that seemed like a large waste of bandwidth, so I went the 2.6.10
> > route.  I got the UDF filesystem working on DVD's as a bonus.
> >
> > :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
> >
> > WT
> > --
> > Press any key...no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!
>
> I've compiled 2.6.10 and the same result I get.
> Here is what made when compiled the kernel:
> - included in the kernel "Suport for framebuffer devices"
> - included in the kernel "Vesa VGA graphics support"
> - compiled as a module "ATI Radeon Display support"
> - at the "Console display driver support", included in the kernel "Video mode
> selection support" and as module, "Framebuffer console support".

Here are all the options I have enabled, which were what _didn't work_ in
2.6.9.

# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=y

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

#
# Logo configuration
#
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

WT
--
Pascal Users:
 To show respect for the 313th anniversary (tomorrow) of the