Re: Can't set resolution for console

On Sunday 16 January 2005 05:36, Wayne Topa wrote:
> andras.lorincz@gmail.com(andras.lorincz@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> > I'm using Sid with AIW Radeon, kernel 2.6.9 compiled with frame buffer
> > support and want to change the text mode resolution. I've tried in grub
> > to pass kernel parameter vga=791, but after the grub menu is listed and
> > the kernel begins to load,  the screen blanks until the kdm starts.
> > Another try was to set vga=ext, that has some effect: after grub menu is
> > listed, the kernel begins to load and the resolution is changed properly,
> > but while the system loads, at a moment the resolution is changed back to
> > 80x25 before kdm starts.
> >
> > How should I handle it?
>
> I solved that problem by going to 2.6.10.  I have also read that the
> problem is with the vesafb.c file in the debian source 2.6.9 sourde.
> It was said that downloading the 2.6.9 source from kernel.org and
> replacing the vesafb.c in the debian source tree with the one from
> kernel.org would fix the problem.
>
> As that seemed like a large waste of bandwidth, so I went the 2.6.10
> route.  I got the UDF filesystem working on DVD's as a bonus.
>
> :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
>
> WT
> --
> Press any key...no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!

I've compiled 2.6.10 and the same result I get.
Here is what made when compiled the kernel:
- included in the kernel "Suport for framebuffer devices"
- included in the kernel "Vesa VGA graphics support"
- compiled as a module "ATI Radeon Display support"
- at the "Console display driver support", included in the kernel "Video mode
selection support" and as module, "Framebuffer console support".