Re: Can't set resolution for console

andras.lorincz@gmail.com(andras.lorincz@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> I'm using Sid with AIW Radeon, kernel 2.6.9 compiled with frame buffer support
> and want to change the text mode resolution. I've tried in grub to pass
> kernel parameter vga=791, but after the grub menu is listed and the kernel
> begins to load,  the screen blanks until the kdm starts. Another try was to
> set vga=ext, that has some effect: after grub menu is listed, the kernel
> begins to load and the resolution is changed properly, but while the system
> loads, at a moment the resolution is changed back to 80x25 before kdm starts.
>
> How should I handle it?

I solved that problem by going to 2.6.10.  I have also read that the
problem is with the vesafb.c file in the debian source 2.6.9 sourde.
It was said that downloading the 2.6.9 source from kernel.org and
replacing the vesafb.c in the debian source tree with the one from
kernel.org would fix the problem.

As that seemed like a large waste of bandwidth, so I went the 2.6.10
route.  I got the UDF filesystem working on DVD's as a bonus.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
WT
--
Press any key...no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!