Can't set resolution for console

I'm using Sid with AIW Radeon, kernel 2.6.9 compiled with frame buffer support
and want to change the text mode resolution. I've tried in grub to pass
kernel parameter vga=791, but after the grub menu is listed and the kernel
begins to load,  the screen blanks until the kdm starts. Another try was to
set vga=ext, that has some effect: after grub menu is listed, the kernel
begins to load and the resolution is changed properly, but while the system
loads, at a moment the resolution is changed back to 80x25 before kdm starts.

How should I handle it?