Re: How to make dpkg forget a package was ever there?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:05:23AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Your attempted deflection still does not change the fact that a small
> package system glitch does *not* require a Debian system to be
> reformatted/reinstalled.  Repair may be difficult and time consuming
> admittedly.  However, for the original poster it seemed to be more of a
> matter of appearance than function.  And for this R/R appears to be a
> waste of time and effort.

On the contrary: it gives me an opportunity to discover whether the
current permutation of debs that I call Sid is cleanly installable, as
opposed to merely cleanly upgradable.  I keep all my "last known good"
debs around.

I have the process automated.  It keeps me from getting rusty and
crusty, and makes me challenge my assumptions affresh, and keep my
scripts tuned up.

This allows me to be Johnny on the Spot whenever a new situation
presents itself.

I turn the question on it's head: how unprepared and disorganized are
*you* that an automated install / profile apply procedure causes you a
bunch of trouble?