Re: How to make dpkg forget a package was ever there?

* William Ballard <nospam_40811@alltel.net> [2005 Jan 09 23:54 -0600]:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:46:46AM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Doesn't seem like it would be a problem.  I would say, though, that the
> > correct behavior for vrms is to ignore the package.  If you have purged
> > it, all traces a presumably gone.  Thus, the package is no longer there.
> > I would recommend filing a bug report.
>
> Once a sinner, always a sinner I guess :-)
> My penance is to reformat and reinstall.

Uh, isn't this going a bit overboard for a simple packaging system
glitch?  How does this affect the rest of the system that a complete
reformat/reinstall is thought to be required?

This is not some other OS that benefits from such occasional purging.
Please don't apply the old ways of doing things to Debian.  The only
reason I can think of for doing an R/R is massive file system
corruption and I only had to do that once after a hard drive failed and
was not recoverable in five and a half years of using Debian and eight
and a half years of using Linux.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of