Re: How to make dpkg forget a package was ever there?

* William Ballard <nospam_40811@alltel.net> [2005 Jan 10 10:41 -0600]:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:25:50AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Well, I hope so, but the smiley isn't on the R/R line.  I just don't
> > want newbies searching the list archives to be left with the impression
> > that Debian requires R/R (Reformat/Reinstall) to fix simple glitches.
>
> Do you think Google or Hotmail spend time farfing around trying to fix
> broken boxes?  Or do you think they reimage?

Quite the hypothetical question as I have no way of knowing their
internal policies which aren't important to the issue at hand.  Also, I
really don't care.

Your attempted deflection still does not change the fact that a small
package system glitch does *not* require a Debian system to be
reformatted/reinstalled.  Repair may be difficult and time consuming
admittedly.  However, for the original poster it seemed to be more of a
matter of appearance than function.  And for this R/R appears to be a
waste of time and effort.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of