Re: How to make dpkg forget a package was ever there?

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 11:34 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:25:50AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Well, I hope so, but the smiley isn't on the R/R line.  I just don't
> > want newbies searching the list archives to be left with the impression
> > that Debian requires R/R (Reformat/Reinstall) to fix simple glitches.
>
> Do you think Google or Hotmail spend time farfing around trying to fix
> broken boxes?  Or do you think they reimage?

Google doesn't even do anything. They just cycle out machines based on
time installed. The rack gets moved to the disassemble area,
rack/cabinets get re-used. The computers are palletized, wrapped and
shipped to computer recyclers.

Hotmail, does a similar thing with their racks, except they shove the
whole thing out the door to the recyclers.

These machines are all managed with profile management software. If an
error shows up, the control center notifies the machine to reboot and
PXE. Fixing the settings or imaging or failing completely. The failed
machine are left in-place until removal (hotmail) or disassembly
(google). Everything is logged as far as failures and automated
maintenance.

Google and Hotmail both have extensive hardware failure databases that
the hardware manufacturers are "dieing" to get, paying muchos dollars
for them. Is a serious money maker for both.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux