Re: newbie installation question

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:03:42 +0100
Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Brian M. Godfrey (<brian@wildbirdshop.com>) wrote:
>
>>> This included hotplug (if you use kernel 2.6)
>>> and discover. discover is also part of Woody (the stable version),
>>> but not part of the base system. You can however install it later.
>>
>> So I could install the stable version (Woody) minimally, just to get
>> it to boot up, then install discover...sounds easy enough.  Then do I
>> have to reboot to get the system properly setup, or does it do so
>> while Linux is running?
>
>You do not need to reboot to run discover and load the drivers, but
>probably you want to install another kernel instead of the one you used
>for installation. To use it, you need to reboot.
>
>best regards
> Andreas Janssen

Well, you NEED to reboot to FINISH the install.
You can also install at this reboot the 'rescue' package
apt-cache policy rescue
rescue:
  Installed: 0.3-3
  Candidate: 0.3-3
  Version Table:
 *** 0.3-3 0
        500 ftp://ftp.internatif.org ./ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
There you'll find all info about your machine.
/var/state/rescue
/var/state/rescue/cpuinfo
/var/state/rescue/df
/var/state/rescue/dma