Re: How to disable module loading during bootup

Han Lin (<hanlim@medankia.org>) wrote:

> I'm new to Debian, I've just installed Debian using sarge
> debian-installer rc2 cd and upgrade to Sid.
> I need to disable my TV Tuner card (bttv) during bootup but don't know
> how to, I've already tried from /etc/modutils/actions by putting # in
> front of the post-install and post-remove :

If you use kernel 2.6, you need to make the changes in /etc/modprobe.d/.
Try something like this:

alias bttv off

> # Special actions that are needed for some modules
> # The BTTV module does not load the tuner module automatically,
> # so do that in here
> #post-install bttv insmod tuner
> #post-remove bttv rmmod tuner

This only prevents the commands from being run when bttv is loaded, it
does not prevent bttv from being loaded itself.

> and /etc/discover.conf and put skip bttv but it doesn't work, the bttv
> modules keep loading during bootup.

Also tell hotplug to load it (etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/).

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976