Re: Frustration with Firefox extension update [SOLVED]

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:27:38 -0500, I <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies for asking here, as it's probably not specific to Debian,
> but I am a Debian user (testing system) and this is a very
> knowledgable group (about lots of things :).
>
> I use the gmail notifier extension, which lets me know whether I have
> new email.  But I cannot update from 0.3.3 to 0.4 - it appears to
> install, but when I restart Firefox, the earlier version is still
> there.  I have even uninstalled 0.3.3 and installed 0.4, but 0.3.3
> comes back!

I still don't know why it wouldn't update, but I found Gmail Notifier
0.3.3 sitting in a subdirectory of my
~/.firefox/default/<random>.slt/extensions/.  (The directory was named
"{44d0a1b4-9c90-4f86-ac92-8680b5d6549e}", which is the ID of the
extension, according to the info in Extensions.rdf.)  I removed that
directory and all its contents, restarted Firefox, installed Gmail
Notifier 0.4, and, when I next restarted Firefox, it was updated.

Patrick