Re: Frustration with Firefox extension update

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
No doubt it's a permissions problem - so much with Linux
is - but I can't figure out where Firefox keeps anything so that I
could correct it.

Well, is it a global or local install of the extension? That does make a difference on where Firefox is installing stuff.

> (An aside: why does Firefox use all these random
strings for profiles and extensions, etc.?  Security through
obscurity?  It makes for a very unpleasant enduser experience, at
least for someone used to getting under the hood and editing config
files.)

One would presume that if someone is used to getting under the hood and editing config files one is well versed in the use of find and grep. Besides on the Linux side of things Firefox only installs one profile per user in each user's home directory. With only one random string to work with it's generally easy to know which profile goes with which home directory. ;)