aic7xxx won't load?

I just recently got my hands on a custom built machine using only Intel components along with an Adaptec RAID card using HostRAID.

After trying a stable install which of course could not find the drive(s) I resorted to the Debian Installer which has helped in the passed when I had to deal with hardware not supported by woody's boot disks. Sarge seems to have the necessary modules (aic7xxx etc.) but while it's "detecting hardware" it says that some of the modules failed to load – more specifically the aic7xxx, which of course results in no disks being found either. I figured that I might be able to load it manually but insmod simply returns an error from which I can tell nothing... Just that it fails to load. This applies to both rc2 and the newer daily builds...

The hardware seems to be fine as I can install RH without a glitch and it runs well, so I'm starting to wonder if this module might be broken under sarge? Has this happened to anybody but me? I'd be very glad if someone could point me into the right direction on this one as I am now officially stuck...

Might mention that I also tried running linux26 off the Debian Installer but with the same results...

Thanks & happy holidays!

Kind Regards,
Didde