Endless Arguments (Re: PVR...)

Brendan wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 20:49, Curt Howland wrote:
> > I prefer not to reward hardware manufacturers who obfuscate their
> > APIs.
>
> Yes, we are all impressed by your wording, but do you have any idea
why they
> have to? They don't own the IP in a healthy chunk of that!

I am aware of the reasons for their not releasing full specifications.
My reasons are as stated: I prefer to use open standards where
possible. If there is no other manufacturer who makes a card capable
of putting out a signal to both a standard and a HD television, then
nVidia would be the only available choice.

> Duh. I think they are doing their best, and since they are one of
the two
> major suppliers of inexpensive, common video hardware....

Two? So there is an alternative that you recognize as equal to nVidia?
Would you care to comment on their quality or open API? Or even
mention their name?

You are welcome to demonstrate how informed and aware you are at any
time. Just telling me how good your information is doesn't do anyone
any good.

> > > Starting out with such a righteous bias and lack of knowledge...
> >
> > And you use Debian, with their "righteous bias", why?
>
> Huh?

Since you ask, you may not be aware of the Debian "Free Software
Guidelines". Those guidelines are the reason that, for instance, the
nVidia binary-only drivers are not built in the main distribution.
The Debian team maintains a "non-free" archive for software that is
commonly used and desired, and that have people willing and able to
maintain Debian packages for that software, but which have licenses
that do not adhere to the standards of "free as in freedom".

This is why mplayer isn't included in Debian at all.

This "bias" has alienated many users who prefer the ease of such
distributions as Mandrake and SuSE, who are not restrained by such
strict adherence to principle.

> Are you trying to get into a pissing match?

You seem to be doing that all by yourself.

> > Oh, that's right, "bias" is a term used for people who you
disagree
> > with.
>
> What?

Since you utilize Debian, but use the term "bias" to describe someone
else's adherence to principle, it is obvious that you are using the
term as a derogatory term.

> Jesus, don't you have a hobby besides yapping at your betters?

I leave that statement to speak for itself.

> > Your 5 seconds was far more effective than my 5 minutes.
>
> Ok dude, whatever.

That was a complement, good sir. And I thank you for the pointer.

> Next time, just take assistance where you can get it and
> don't be such a baby.

I am. I hope it doesn't gall you too much to know that you have
actually been quite helpful.

Good luck on your SAT.

Curt-

--