Re: cannot open root device "801"

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:01:15 -0800, Eric N. Valor <ericv@cruzio.com> wrote:

> I don't know because I'm not using the Debian image (I like to compile
> my own kernels, and have only started running into these problems using
> 2.6.x kernels).  Does the Debian 2.6.8 binary image contain support for
> the Sym53C8XXX SCSI controller?

With the 2.6.9 there's a scsi module called "sym53c8xx".

> Beyond this problem with HFS, I'm concerned that any compilation in the
> future will present problems, which is why I'd like to solve my current
> predicament.  I've recompiled quite a few times, all with no success.

I used to compile the kernels myself, but i got tired. I don't need
external patch to support special HW, so the Debian binary packages
are ok for me.

My suggestion is to use the Debian tools to build them
("kernel-package" package) and start with a sane config if you have
trouble to creating one that works, for example the config you'll find
with one of the binary package...

Andrea