cannot open root device "801"

Hello.

I recently recompiled my 2.6.8 kernel.  Now I can no longer boot my
system. It fails with the message "cannot open root device "801" or
unknown-block(8,1)".

I am using a Symbios SCSI card without any IDE devices (save the CDROM)
in my system.  My lilo.conf properly identifies the boot device and root
device ("boot=/dev/sda" and "root=/dev/sda1").  The SCSI drivers are
compiled directly into the kernel, and the devices are all seen on
bootup.

My previous 2.6.8 kernel boots, but not this one.  The only change I
made was to enable HFS filesystem (so I can play with my new iPod).

Any ideas?

Please respond directly as I am not monitoring the list (but do, of
course, CC: the list).

Thank you.

--
Eric N. Valor