Re: Installation

Hello

YH (<yh@paradise.net.nz>) wrote:

> Thanks Dani, that fixed the the permission denied error, but actually,
> it came another "No such device" error message:
>
> Sound Server information Message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver, device /dev/dsp can't be
> opened (No such device). The sound server will continue, using the
> null output device.
>
> Seems I am still missing something here?

You are missing the driver for your sound card. First make sure some
kernel with support for common sound cards is installed (don't use the
2.2.20idepci kernel, install kernel-image-2.2.20 or
kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686|k6|k7|586|386). If you install the 2.4.18
kernel image, don't forget to configure lilo to use the initrd. Next
find out which module you need (lspci, groups.google.com) and make sure
it gets loaded (e.g. by adding it to /etc/modules).

And if you answer, please don't top-post.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976