Re: 2 GB RAM support in woody

> > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:06:39 -0800 (PST), saravanan
> > ganapathy
> > <sarav_gsa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hai,
> > >   I installed woody on my dual processor,2 GB RAM
> > > server. I have enabled smp support by installing
> > > kernel-image-2.4.18-smp. Now it shows dual
> > processor.
> > > But the os detects my RAM as 900 MB only. How do I
> > > enable the os to detect actual RAM(2 GB)?
> > >
> > > Please help me
> > >
> > > Sarav

> --- Jonathan Lassoff <jlassoff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You need a kernel that supports large amounts of
> > RAM. You could get
> > the sources and compile it yourself which can take
> > some time, but I
> > personally found very easy to do. I would think that
> > there is a .deb
> > package of a kernel with this support as well, but I
> > don't know that
> > much about apt. Perhaps do: "apt-cache search
> > kernel" and see if
> > anything jumps out at you.
> >
> > I'd be happy to help you compile your own kernel.
> >
> > --Jonathan

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:58:46 -0800 (PST), saravanan ganapathy
<sarav_gsa@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I googled and couldn't find the .deb kernel package
> which supports highmem( its available in testing
> version only)
> So I think I need to use the latest 2.4.x kernel from
> kernel.org. If I am using debian kernel packages, then
> I can get security updates from debian.
>   Is kernel.org provides security updates? If so , how
> to apply the updates without disturbing applications
> running on a production server?
>
> Please suggest me
>
> Sarav

Sorry for the topposting above, that was my mistake.

As to the security updates, those are provided by the Debian security
team. They maintain software packages with the latest updates for
security vulnerabilities. The kernel is the core piece of software on
your system that handles all the system calls and a whole slew of
other core stuff. Vulnerabilities for the Linux kernel are not as
common as vulnerabilities for common pieces of Linux software, so you
could roll your own kernel and still have all the great security
updates from the Debian security team.

As to getting your own kernel going, there are two big and easy ways
to get the sources. One, you can get the sources from backports.org.
This would consist of adding some lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list
file to get a kernel-source package. Two, you can get the kernel
source from kernel.org. I personally would go with the second as it is
quicker to grab and use. As of this writing, the latest 2.4 kernel is
2.4.28, and can be had over HTTP at
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.28.tar.bz2 Grab this
and move it to /usr/src You will likely have to become root to do
this. Then decompress the tarball in /usr/src. This should make
/usr/src/linux-2.4.28. Then you should cd into this directory and
proceed to configure your new kernel and compile it. There is ample
documentation in the linux-2.4.28 directory under Documentation, and I
don't really feel like rewriting some already great docs. There are
plenty more online too if you poke around on google or something.

Direct any questions here, and I'll do my best to help you out. Hope
this works out for you.

--Jonathan