Gimp select tool (was: Re: Linux Functionality?)

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 07:38 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 11:33:43PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > And though I hate to admit the need for tools such as these, SIMPLIFIED
> > GUI tools for specific tasks tend to be better in Windows. As a great
> > case in point, most digital cameras come with software included that
> > lets you quickly and easily crop, resize, or otherwise manipulate
> > photos. These are all things that can be done with Gimp or a few
> > command-line tools in Linux, but none of them are all that SIMPLE.
> > There's a great program by Kodak which makes cropping pictures a breeze.
> > It automagically suggests a selection of the photo to crop and, GASP, it
> > lets you DRAG the crop selection borders.
> >
> > (This has always been a pet peeve of mine with The Gimp, though I
> > believe Photoshop suffers from it as well. WHY OH WHY can't we drag the
> > borders of a selection after we've made it??!?!?!)
>
> ??? The autocrop function may not work directly on a photo (or not
> well, at least), but certainly you can drag the selection around and
> change its size/borders (quite easily, too).  I wouldn't imagine
> autocropping to be particularly useful on most average photos
> anyway--it tends to remove too much border area (though I don't know
> about the Kodak one).

Could you elaborate on changing the size and borders of a selection in
The Gimp? I've worked with it for quite a while at home and at work and
I've NEVER been able to resize a selection once it's been made. I know
about the "add" and "subtract" modes, but what I'd like is to be able to
just hover over the bottom right corner of a selection, get a little
diagonal line icon, and drag it to a different size rectangle. Is this
actually possible and how the heck did I miss it?!

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837