Re: Linux Functionality?

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 11:33:43PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> And though I hate to admit the need for tools such as these, SIMPLIFIED
> GUI tools for specific tasks tend to be better in Windows. As a great
> case in point, most digital cameras come with software included that
> lets you quickly and easily crop, resize, or otherwise manipulate
> photos. These are all things that can be done with Gimp or a few
> command-line tools in Linux, but none of them are all that SIMPLE.
> There's a great program by Kodak which makes cropping pictures a breeze.
> It automagically suggests a selection of the photo to crop and, GASP, it
> lets you DRAG the crop selection borders.
>
> (This has always been a pet peeve of mine with The Gimp, though I
> believe Photoshop suffers from it as well. WHY OH WHY can't we drag the
> borders of a selection after we've made it??!?!?!)

??? The autocrop function may not work directly on a photo (or not
well, at least), but certainly you can drag the selection around and
change its size/borders (quite easily, too).  I wouldn't imagine
autocropping to be particularly useful on most average photos
anyway--it tends to remove too much border area (though I don't know
about the Kodak one).

Seems to be a style-of-management issue.

Kenward

ps. BTW--Sid, with Gimp 2.2.  :)
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,