Re: Difference between Gnome and Debian menus. Why ?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 07:52:37PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:38:27AM -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> > > Absolutely. The debian menu system's menu should be the primary menu
> > > for all menu-carrying apps imho. Any arguments against it are usually
> > > complaints about the menu system which should be fixed, not ignored.
> > > Having two menus in KDE/GNOME vs. the rest of the world is too
> > > confusing.
> >
> > So, why not file the bug reports to request these changes?
>
> Oh no.
>
> Aside from reasons already stated, not all programs are listed under
> Gnome menu.  Gnome menu is a nice addition but it is not yet substitute
> of Debian menu.

Perhaps I missed something but this didn't seem to be a suggestion to
have the Gnome menu replace the Debian menu, but rather the Debian menu
replace the Gnome menu.  So, I don't see how your comment applies.

> Current set up is a good practical compromie.

>From a geek perspective yes.  From an average user perspective, not
really.  It not very intuitive.  Sure, once a user has had it explained
to them, they know where to look, but I've seen a number that haven't
found it initially.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar