Re: The Debian IRC channel

I don't think that #debian is a place for newbies to turn to when they
need help. When newbis ask for help they face a very urgent problem
and are usually overwhelmed by it. For their questions to be answered
in #debian they must follow a certain protocol which is strictly
enforced with all means possible (+q or +b).

This protocol is to make the life of those (who claim to be most)
"helpful" easier so they don't have to answer the same questions over
and over again, day after day. However, it is my opinion this protocol
(and its strict enforcement) violates one (maybe even more) rules of
the freenode channel guidelines, which can be found here

http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml

I am most concerned about the paragraph "Don't be elitist." there.

I have to point out, I do not doubt the willingness of the #debian
guys to help. What I am doubting is the way newbies are helped these
days. Being a mere user and not even a #debian regular anymore I am
uncertain if I can do this (*1) but I move that a new #debian channel
policy is found, one that more closely follows the freenode channel
guidelines.

Now for the time bein I would like the #debian channel owners to point
those they ban to #debian-friendly, which is where I will happily try
to assist them. #debian's door might be barred but that shouldnt mean
"they may not find what they seek".

Maybe over time the #debian channel policy is changed and we don't
need a newbie only channel anymore, rather we can have a
#debian-advanced channel or so for those that do not face the usual
newbie's problem.

Since I am sure I stepped on many people's feet with this, rest
assured I did not mean to insult you or talk little of your efforts to
help others. I know it's difficult, I know some newbies are very
stubborn, but I also know they usually appreciate the help being
given.

Debian is great, let us make the community as great to attract yet
more newbies who gladly will "spread the fire"

(*1) I know I could participate more in the debian community and one
day become a decision maker. But why would I have to do it myself if I
can try to persuade others first...

--
Lasse Pommerenke