Re: The Debian IRC channel

On Monday 20 December 2004 5:53 am, Kim wrote:

> Now since I found there was such a big difference I adressed the issue
> on the debian channel afterwards. Quickly a lot of people "pm" me and
> agreed. I only posted a couple of messages advicing people to maintain
> the freenode policy of helpfullness and kindness and I stated that the
> normally unfriendly atmosphere was damanging to debian since many
> people don't know that the channel isn't debians official channel.
> Also I stated that the debian community in general is known to be very
> friendly and helpful.

Actually, according to Debian's website (http://debian.org/support), the
IRC channel is the Debian official IRC channel.

Did you read the FAQ?
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/debian-faq-wiki/

Please note that in pretty much any environment, being helpful and kind
stops at pandering to those who aren't up to speed with the
surroundings.  Nobody wants to diaper-change the clueless.  Read the
FAQ first.

> Saying that I soon experienced a lot of rudeness and after only
> posting I think about 5 messages in total I got banned. And since I
> sit on a wan which has only one public IP the entire wan is actually
> banned.

Switching IPs to avoid a ban is net.kook behavior and is an excellent
example of how to get everybody on your ISP banned from the channel, if
not freenode.  What could have possibly made you think that was
acceptable behavior in the first place?  That's like getting thrown out
of a bar, putting on a different jacket and a hat, and walking right
back in thinking they're not going to recognize that you're the guy
they just threw out.  Apply some common sense, man!

> I also consider the current channel as a very unhelpful channel and in
> many cases people who are trying debian for the first time goes there
> only to find a lot of insults if they don't understand at first or if
> they have missed to find some kind of related information. Instead of
> helping to solve the problem people there might actually be a cause
> for other people to quit trying to solve the problems and give up.

That should tell you that you need to ask a smarter question, then.
Here's a good FAQ on how to make a dumb question a smart one.

> On the channel there is always a lot of people connected but it seems
> that only a clique of the same people are answering the questions.

Read the channel FAQ, many people idle when they're asleep or at work.
Try asking in a few hours.  Read the channel FAQ.  Read the channel
FAQ.

> I know that these mailing list a the best place to get help, but if a
> person needs help here and now an irc channel can be very beneficial
> which I experienced at both fedora and linux channel yesterday.

No, if you need help here and now, harassing volunteers isn't the way to
do it.  Go hire a consultant to do your bidding.
http://debian.org/consultants/

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.dyndns.org