Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Christian Convey wrote:

I'd really like to advocate Linux more to friends and family, but I just don't feel like I can recommend the OS to non-techies until dealing with hardware gets easier.

A number of good other comments I agree with on this thread.

An additional comment: Anyone wishing to fund/support a developer's work on any particular type of hardware certainly can. Rarely does anyone do it, however.

Recent studies have shown that the vast majority of patches in the kernel tree are now coming from paid Linux developers vs. a few years ago when "the guy in the basement" made the biggest overall impact.

Whether or not this trend will continue and translate into companies hiring people who can write good drivers for Linux for their products in a few more years remains to be seen.

Nate